Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 1999 13:54:30 +0200
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>
To:        Nicolas Blais <nicblais@videotron.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP!!! -CURRENT libtool problem.

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 04:04:46PM -0400, Nicolas Blais wrote:
> Hi.  I've finally installed FreeBSD 4.0 and to tell you the truth, I'm
> not very impressed.  I was expecting some bugs but not like that...

Not the best way to start a message if you want to get responses.  Also,
the wrapping on your e-mail editor is broken.

> Most of my stuff compiles great with EGCS except all my shared libraries
> that uses libtool like jpeglib and giflib.
> They both use libtool which for some odd reason was not installed on my
> system.

If you had actually provided some useful information then maybe the
problem could be determined, but I'd guess that your system is broken...
The ports all work (although there is a problem for old libtool
installations - which you don't have), and libtool will be installed by
ports which need it.  The same ports work on both -STABLE and -CURRENT,
so I'd also guess that you messed up during the upgrade.  Maybe an old
bsd.port.mk somewhere?

I also assume that if you fetched the package, then you are building
from ports?  If not, then don't fetch the package, go fetch libtool from
a GNU mirror and build it manually (and do whatever patching is needed
for 4.0).  If you're not using ports, then you'll get even less help
than if you have a problem with -CURRENT.

> Please help.  I'm really desperate.

Stick with -STABLE and packages.

 -Jeremy

--
  |   "In this world of temptation, I will stand for what is right.
--+--  With a heart of salvation, I will hold up the light.