Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2006 16:58:58 -0400
From:      Rob Szarka <szlists@szarka.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Error: shared library "expat.5" does not exist

At 04:41 AM 6/29/2006, you wrote:
>First, I believe that the port has been updated to:
>linux-fontconfig-2-2.4_4 in the ports system. You could try this
>procedure.
>
>1) Update your ports tree
>2) Install 'portmanager' if it is not already installed
>3) Run: portmanager x11-fonts/linux-fontconfig -l -f -y
>
>That will create a log file, '/var/log/portmanager.log' that you can
>inspect after the process ends. If it does not complete successfully,
>you will have a better idea of what the problem is.

Yup, see my previous reply: I wasn't updating the X11 ports in my
supfile. But, this brings up another issue...

Thanks for the tip about portmanager. However, I use usually execute
make directly. In fact, what I *like* do is something like "make |
tee logfile.txt" so I can go back and inspect the output. But a
number of ports execute a gtk(?)-based config that displays
full-screen. When using tee (or, of course, redirecting output
via >), it's next to impossible to navigate around the config screen
in my term.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this? Is there a way to get them
to use a traditional configure dialog that presents one option at a time?

(I was baffled the first time one of these screens popped up. It just
seems so antithetical to the whole compiling from source thing,
y'know? Like gourmet cooking in a microwave or something...)