Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2011 11:06:51 +0000
From:      krad <kraduk@gmail.com>
To:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, freebsd-sysinstall@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSDInstall: merging to HEAD

On 14 January 2011 18:26, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org> wrote:

> As those of you who have been reading freebsd-sysinstall and freebsd-arch=
 know, I have been working for a few weeks on a lightweight new installer n=
amed 'bsdinstall'. This is designed to replace sysinstall for the 9.0 relea=
se.

> After two weeks of testing and bug fixes on the sysinstall list, I believ=
e this now has all required functionality and is ready to be merged into th=
e main source tree. I would like to do this on Tuesday, 18 January. Switchi=
ng this to be the default installer would happen a few weeks after that, pe=
nding discussion on release formats with the release engineering team. This=
 should provide a sufficient testing period before 9.0 and allow a maximal =
number of bugs to be discovered and solved before the release is shipped.

> Demo ISO for i386: http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/bsdinstall-i386-=
20110114.iso.bz2
> SVN repository: svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/user/nwhitehorn/bsdinstall
> Wiki page: http://wiki.freebsd.org/BSDInstall
>
> Goals
> -----
> The primary goal of BSDInstall is to provide an easily extensible install=
er without the limitations of sysinstall, in order to allow more modern ins=
tallations of FreeBSD. This means that it should have additional features t=
o support modern setups, but simultaneously frees us to remove complicating=
 features of sysinstall like making sure everything fits in floppy disk-siz=
ed chunks.

> New Features:
> - Allows installation onto GPT disks on x86 systems
> - Can do installations spanning multiple disks
> - Allows installation into jails
> - Eases PXE installation
> - Virtualization friendly: can install from a live system onto disk
> =A0images
> - Works on PowerPC
> - Streamlined system installation
> - More flexible scripting
> - Easily tweakable
> - All install CDs are live CDs
>
> Architecture
> ------------
> BSDInstall is a set of tools that are called in sequence by a master scri=
pt. These tools are, for example, the partition editor, the thing that fetc=
hes the distributions from the network, the thing that untars them, etc. Si=
nce these are just called in sequence from a shell script, a scripted insta=
llation can easily replace them with other things, (e.g. hard-coded gpart c=
ommands), leave steps out, add new ones, or interleave additional system mo=
difications.

> Status
> ------
> This provides functionality most similar to the existing sysinstall 'Expr=
ess' track. It installs working, bootable systems you can ssh into immediat=
ely after reboot on i386, amd64, sparc64, powerpc, and powerpc64. There is =
untested support for pc98. The final architecture on which we use sysinstal=
l, ia64, is currently unsupported, because I don't know how to set up booti=
ng on those systems -- patches to solve this are very much welcome.

> There are still some missing features that I would like to see in the rel=
ease, but these do not significantly impact the functionality of the instal=
ler. Some will be addressed before merging to HEAD, in particular the lack =
of a man page for bsdinstall. Others, like configuration of wireless networ=
king and ZFS installation, can happen between merge and release. The test I=
SOs are also lacking a ports tree at the moment, which is a statement about=
 the slow upload speed of my DSL line and not about the final layout of rel=
eases.

> Please send any questions, comments, or patches you may have, and please =
be aware when replying that this email has been cross-posted to three lists=
. Technical discussion (bug reports, for instance) should be directed to th=
e freebsd-sysinstall list only. Most other discussion belongs on -sysinstal=
l and -current.