Date:      Mon, 05 Dec 2005 01:10:33 +0800
From:      "ke.han" <ke.han@redstarling.com>
To:        FreeBSD Q ML <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   cvsup update and source sync confusion

I am confused about how to cvsup my freeBSD 6 system.  I understand the
ports update stuff.  Lots of good doc on this.  Its updating the rest of
the system that I don't understand.

My current adventure beging when I read the 3ware knowledgebase article
http://www.3ware.com/kb/article.aspx?id=14850 .  It says the latest
source for the twa driver is at
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/twa/ and
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/modules/twa/

All good and well except that I don't know how to sync these sources and
the handbook tells me that I shouldn't update just part of my source
tree.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/synching.html :

*Warning:* While it is possible to update only parts of your source
tree, the
only supported update procedure is to update the entire tree and
recompile both userland
(i.e., all the programs that run in user space, such as those in /bin
and /sbin) and kernel sources.
Updating only part of your source tree, only the kernel, or only
userland will often
result in problems. These problems may range from compile errors to
kernel panics or data
corruption.

Note, that this is all that is said on the subject.  I looked in many
cvsup docs and cannot find a simple way to sync the two directories.  I
needed "HEAD" for just those two directories.  I ended up using the web
browser interface to display each source file, saved each file and
copied them to the server.  Since this was only about 20 files, it was
not too bad.  But it leaves me thinking this was not the intended
procedure.   Can anyone enlighten me?

While trying to get the latest twa driver code I tried each of the
following:

cvsup -L 2 -h cvsup.FreeBSD.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile
    and
cvsup -L 2 -h cvsup.FreeBSD.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile

After each completed, I checked my local /sys/dev/twa directories and
the latest files were not sync'd.
So neither of these worked which I found odd.

/usr/share/examples/cvsup/README says:

To maintain the sources for the FreeBSD-current release, use:

   standard-supfile            Main source tree

   ports-supfile               Ports collection

To maintain the sources for the FreeBSD-stable release, use:

   stable-supfile              Main source tree

I though FreeBSD-current meant the 7.0 branch???  If so, why is the file
called "standard-supfile"?  Also, the handbook says FreeBSD-stable is
just a bit behind current.  So why did neither of these get me the
latest twa driver source?

thanks, ke han