Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:39:14 -0500
From:      Ian Soboroff <ian.soboroff@nist.gov>
To:        Anish Mistry <mistry.7@osu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Resume problem with mouse, 5.3

Anish Mistry <mistry.7@osu.edu> writes:

> Also the issue about poor battery life under ACPI S3 suspend (I
> believe your APM terminology is incorrect since APM suspend has good
> battery life, but other stuff breaks) is that certain devices aren't
> shutdown fully since they aren't in the 2110's DSDT and the drivers
> don't shut them down as the should.  To get a significantly better
> battery life you will need to search through the archives of this
> list and look for the acpi_video DPMS patch posted by jhb.  This
> will make things much better, but there are still a few things that
> need to be fixed in the drivers.

I am running with the acpi_video patch, and I can have the laptop in
S3 suspend for about a weekend.  (This is with the high-cap main
battery and an expansion bay battery, btw.)  APM suspend indeed breaks
something as I could never resume from it.

There was a recent patch mentioned which I am planning to try as
well.  I know I should be able to achieve better suspended battery
life, since I could go a week or two in APM suspend from Linux.

(Before I get labelled a Linux troll, I'm a recent convert to FreeBSD
on my laptop and like it a lot so far... slimmer memory footprint and
much better documented.  ACPI suspend never worked for me under Linux,
so APM there is all I have to compare with.  Battery drain under
suspend means I have to carry around a power cord again, and that's no
fun.  I'm happy to test stuff as time permits.)

Ian