Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 08:56:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DoS from local users (fwd)

Just review the thread:

	>. Look, here is a little script, which allows any user
	   to perform a DoS attack!

	<. Khmm, yes indeed, but you can remove any user who does
	   this.

	>. But shouldn't the system be able to sustain/detect this
	   sort of attack?

	[... Nice theoretical discussion is skipped. ...]

	<. No, it is your responsibility as a sysop, do not give
	   accounts to those you don't trust.

	>. Oh, well, but what about public-shell systems?

	<. Public shell systems are a bad idea!

	>. Just because FreeBSD can not handle it, does not mean the
	   task itself is a bad idea...

	<. [Now we are all upset, flames start to light the sky]:

		. FreeBSD handles this here and here!
		. No OS will handle it quite right...
		. You just need to be a better sysop.

	>. Sorry, no offense meant...

Why don't we admit this possibility exists (as well as many others,
perhaps) for a local user to cause a DoS and may be someday someone
will address it?