Date:      Sat, 11 Jul 1998 15:05:10 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        dcarmich@mcs.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Region of horizontal lines on right region of screen (duplib err -d uplication of leftr  region)

On Friday, 10 July 1998 at 23:39:21 -0500, Douglas Carmichael wrote
(to -mobile and -hackers)

This isn't a -hackers topic, and I suspect it's not really a -mobile
topic either: it's a question, so I'm following up there.

> Sorry for the subject. My backspace seems to be messed up.

Try stty erase ^H

> I have a problem with XFree86 3.3.2 on a NEC Versa LX with an ATI 3D RAGE
> PRO LT video chip. (I'm using FreeBSD 2.2.6 with the pcvt console driver).
> When I start X with startx -- -bpp 32, X starts up fine and I can see the
> screen but on the right of the screen, there are horizontal lines going
> down to the bottom of the screen (not on the whole screen, but on about
> 1/4th of it) and anything dragged in that area cannot be seen.
> (Also, when I have my X cursor near that region, I see a mirror immage of
> it with a little white box before it in that region).

This looks like a disagreement between the display and your XF86config
as to the correct scan timing.  There are a number of things you can
do:

1.  Check whether it happens in other resolutions.  You don't say, but
    I suppose you were doing this at 1024x768.  Does it still happen
    at 800x600 and 640x480?
2.  Check whether it happens in other colour depths.  If it doesn't,
    check the dot clocks.  Your current ones are:

> (**) Mach64: Mode "1024x768": mode clock =  75.000
> (**) Mach64: Mode "800x600": mode clock =  36.000
> (**) Mach64: Mode "640x480": mode clock =  24.000

3.  I note that for 1024x768 you have the following mode line:

       ModeLine "1024x768" 75 1024 1048 1184 1328 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync

    I don't know if this is some decision by xf86setup that you need
    negative sync just for this speed, but I suspect it's bogus.  You
    could try removing the -hsync -vsync and see if that improves
    things, though at the moment I can't see how.

Greg