Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 2000 19:14:19 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        newbie@xfree86.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   XDMCP/Keyboardlayout problems in XFree401/FreeBSD 4.2-BETA

	Hello.

Well, maybe my problems are really foolish - or i ran into real
problems.

I use a network of several FreeBSD 4.2 server and a bunch of diskless
X terminals. The X terminals bioot their stuff from one of the servers.
I hardcoded into the kernel a german keymap layout, but with a special
console command I can change this to us.iso or anything else. This works
fine for the console. But XFree 4 seems to get up messed a little bit.
The XDMCP host runs XFree 3.3.6 due XFree 4.0.1 is not able to forward
queries directly to the selected host (I reported this
earlier here). The clients all run XFree 4.0.1 with the latest patches.

Problem is now, that I start on ttyv0 the X server permanently and I configured
the X server to us a German keyboard layout. But this is not working well!
When selecting german.cp850 as the UNIX default console keymap, XFree serves
me a German layout, but I can't use those key generated by the 'AltGr' Key
in addition with the appropriate key to get the wanted sign. this is for
@ AltGr-q. And I do not have German Umlaute, like "a etc. Console works
fine, each key is in the right place.

When using XFree 3.3.6 I can select the appropriate keyboard layout like
the way I did in Xfree 4.0.1 (Option XkbLayout "de" in XF86Config), but
Xfree 3.3.6 did the job while XFree 4.0.1 is not willing to change!
What's up with XFree 4.0.1?

I got a lot of unresolved problems with chooser when using XFree4.0.1's
chooser to forward X requests ... this could only be solved by using the
old 3.3.6-chooser. And now keyboard layout managing seems to be another
problem. I posted earlier some questions about this problem which seems
not to be FreeBSD specific because some of our Linux desktops have the same
	problem. Can anybody help?

Oliver

-
MfG