Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2002 09:57:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
To:        matt@forsetti.com
Cc:        vetter_david@sbcglobal.net, steve@velosystems.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MS Dynamic DNS problems

>Are you using a special Dynamic DNS update client, or relying on some
>functionality in dhclient?  Is the DHCP server a MS DHCP server, that
I guess I am relying on dhclient.  I am not well versed in this business.
dhclient used to work (this was also a time when win2k worked, then things
changed over at IT and both stopped, then they fixed my win2k by modifying
the DNS panel as stated in the previous mails of this thread).

>could update AD/DNS for you?  It seems from your ping that the DNS entry
>which your Win2k side registers lingers for a little while, long enough
>for you to reboot into FreeBSD.  On Win2k shutdown, the address is
I have, in fact, kept the machine off for many minutes and observed that
the DNS entry persists until right after the DHCP step in booting FreeBSD.

>de-registered (unless configured differently) from DDNS, so unless you
>are using a DDNS update client to re-register on the FreeBSD side, the
>registration won't work for too long.  But the deregistration can take a
>few minutes, depending on how busy the server is, so you might get
>response from your entry for a few minutes after Win2k shutdown.
Is dhclient a DDNS client?  Should I set up some other client?  Is it
a port?

-r