Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 1997 14:29:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        abial@korin.warman.org.pl (Andrzej Bialecki)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New authentication styles in login

> I'm currently working on adding Security Dynamics' smartcard
> authentication to FreeBSD login (and later, to ftp{d}). I have some
> questions though:
>
> * as it seems at first glance, we don't use/have login_* modules
> mentioned in login's Makefile. So the most of the auth functions from
> libutil is unused. Am I right (fully/partially/not at all)?

You are right.

> * when adding new auth style, it seems to be a more proper thing to put it
> into libutil than to login.c itself (like SKEY #defines). Or, since
> login.c contains so many #defines anyway, just to go with the new stuff
> there. For those uninformed, SecurID API requires about two #includes and
> one call to their auth function, that's all, so this wouldn't be a much
> bloat to the login.c.
>
> What would you suggest?

Support the modules.  In many cases, they are vedor supplied and we can't
do anything with them as fa as distribution and default support otherwise.

I believe it was Mike Pritchard (mpp@mpp.minn.net) who wrote our
login.conf implementation so far (it's been a while; check the
-current archives to be sure).  You should contact him (or the author,
if not him) directly.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org