Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 13:20:15 +0000
From:      George Cox <gjvc@extremis.demon.co.uk>
To:        R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please help or direct to help

On 27/01 23:18, R Joseph Wright wrote:

> > 2)  X-Windows failed to start due to an initialization problem with the
> > mouse.
>
> I've had the same problem that seemed to be caused by the "moused" daemon
> interfering with the X server's mouse configuration.  Go to /etc/rc.conf,
> and if you see anything related to "moused", comment it out or remove it.
> Then try to start X again.

If you want to use the mouse in both the console and X, you need to do
something like the following steps.

  1 -- set your mouse up correctly in rc.conf.  These 3 lines will do the
       trick for most PS/2 mice.

    moused_enable="YES"
    moused_type="auto"
    moused_port="/dev/psm0"

  After setting this, you should 'kill 1' and press CTRL-D to come back up
  to multi user mode.

  2 -- Ensure moused works OK and you can cut and paste between consoles.
       If it doesn't try step 1 again, possibly with different values.

  3 -- set up your XFree86 configuration file to use the following mouse
       settings.  The protocol should be auto or sysmouse, and the device
       must be /dev/sysmouse.  The following settings work for XFree86
       3.9.17 -- I haven't got XFree86 3.3.x.

          Driver     "mouse"
          Option     "Protocol"  "auto"
          Option     "Device"    "/dev/sysmouse"

  4 -- Start X.

  5 -- Enjoy.

best;

gjvc

--
[gjvc]                                                    Powered by SMP FreeBSD
                              In god we're trussed        http://www.freebsd.org