Date:      Sat, 28 Dec 2002 14:47:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   linux compatability

Hey folks,

	I'm noticing some odd behaviour with the linux compatability
recently.  I have this small gnome app called gnome-run.  It links against
a number of gnome libraries that I've copied from my linux partition over
to /compat/linux and put in the appropriate directories.

	The problem is, when executing this app, the linker seems to try
and load the libaudiofile.so.0 file from my FreeBSD installation instead
of my /compat/linux installation.  When running gnome-run it only does
this for that one library (though other apps have shown this to be a
problem with other libraries such as libgmodule-2.0.so.0,
libglib-2.0.so.0, and libgobject-2.0.so.0)

	This is what happens when I try to launch "gnome-run" from an
xterm:

[ adamk@sorrow ~ ]$ gnome-run
gnome-run: error while loading shared libraries:
/usr/local/lib/libaudiofile.so.0: ELF file OS ABI invalid

	Well, of course the OS ABI is invalid.  The libaudiofile library
it's trying to load is for FreeBSD, not Linux.  But, if I move the
libaudiofile.so.0 file from /usr/local/lib to /usr/local/lib/old, and
try to launch gnome-run, everything works fine.  So, if the FreeBSD
version of the library isn't present, it then looks for the Linux version.

	Any ideas what's going on or how to fix this?

Adam