Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 1999 16:43:18 +1000
From:      "Young" <young@richardson.apana.org.au>
To:        "Damien Tougas" <dtougas@converging.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: adopt a newbie program

>I do not disagree with you.  I do not consider myself to be a newbie,
>and I have been following the list for some time.  I think that as
>the OS becomes more popular, we will just continue to see more of this
>all the time.

As I've said in several postings ..... more "newbie relevant" docs would
go a long way to solving this problem, and from my point of view much of
this stuff needs to be prepared by someone just past "raw newbie" stage
so that the basics are still fresh ... something that appears unlikely with
5 year experienced experts

 I cannot speak for either of you, but I know for myself,
>I kind of like searching around to find the answers, and figure out
>as much as possible on my own.

Thats OK as far as it goes .... but having to wade through hundreds of pages
of bumpf to find the answer to the most basic function is hardly likely to
endear
 the operating system to  any but the most dedicated

>Maybe my idea for an adopt a newbie program is lame.  That's ok.  But
perhaps
 there needs to be somthing in place to make searching for the answers a
little
more intuitive for someone who is new to the game.

I agree 200%  ......  whilst many *nix folk nearly have a stroke at the mere
mention of
that dreadful software company (oh shock !! oh horror !!)  that shall remain
nameless,
there are one or three ideas that could be borrowed / copied / or otherwise
implemented
.... like making access to the basic info reasonably acessible to those who
don't know
exactly what they are looking for and need to find the answer today (not
next week)