Date:      Wed, 08 Sep 1999 10:03:23 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>, Dominic Mitchell <Dom.Mitchell@palmerharvey.co.uk>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MS & Linux duopoly

At 08:30 AM 9/8/99 -0400, Jamie Bowden wrote:

>I didn't bother to hit the URL, but this isn't news.  Things like X11amp
>and Cthugha are prime examples.  Those are fluff.  The non-fluff stuff
>that's becoming linux specific is pissing me off.

It shouldn't be surprising, though. It's ALWAYS easier to write non-portable
code. It happens in the commercial world unless management is visionary enough
to insist that programmers do otherwise. (Unfortunately, management
is rarely visionary.) And it happens in the open source world, where coders who
seek credit rather than money likewise target the biggest installed base
exclusively. Mechanisms like the GPL work to lock the code in still more.

I see this as a problem that will worsen over time. The only cure is to catch
up with Linux in terms of mindshare and user base as quickly as possible.
Are you game to an effort whose goal would be to turn these trends around?

--Brett