Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 19:06:51 +0000
From:      "Sean J. Schluntz" <schluntz@clicknet.com>
To:        Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        "C. Randolph Philipp" <cphilipp@pop500.gsfc.nasa.gov>, FreeBSD-mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Where is the Latest FAQ?

Ted Faber wrote:
> "Sean J. Schluntz" wrote:
> >APM bios works well with FreeBSD APM support and suspends/resumes very
> >well (via commands or by closing the lid.) I keep it in suspend to RAM
> >because the battery lasts so damn long (esp when you have the second one
> >in) that I didn't want to give up the HD space ;)
>
> I didn't realize that it was possible to configure FreeBSD to suspend
> to disk.  I haven't seen any references in the manual that indicate
> it's possible.  Can you give me an idea where to look?

It's not a FreeBSD thing, it a LapTop thing.  From what I've been told
by the Dell people (and playing with NT here before I put FreeBSD on the
system) the OS does not know where it's suspending to, the Bios handles
it all as a bios option (Suspend to Memory/Suspend to Disk) but I don't
like throwing away 100megs (I have 80megs of RAM) of hard disk space.
NT could not tell the difference between the Disk and RAM suspend, it
just takes longer to resume from a disk suspend but turns off the
system. (The testing I did was with a APM package so NT was truly power
management aware, not just dumb as usual ;)

-Sean