Date:      19 Mar 1999 23:47:30 +0100
From:      Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE
To:        roelof@eboa.com
Cc:        cvsup-bugs@polstra.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup: a newbie's tale.

I'd also like to relate a newbie's tale.  I read the instructions,
then ignored them.  I looked at /etc/make.conf, where I found stuff
having to do with CVSup.  This was a pointer to
/usr/share/examples/cvsup, so I went there and had a look.  The
`CHANGE_THIS' in a few files was clear enough, so:

    perl -pi~ -e s/CHANGE_THIS/cvsup3.de/ *

(I did this by hand first, now that's what I'm doing.)

Then: cd /usr/src; make update.

While it is useful to have all this information in the handook, the
above process is so easy that I humbly suggest that some mention of it
be included in the handbook.

PS: I'm not sure whether changing the CVSup config files after every
    `make update' (or is it `make world'?) is the Right Thing to do,
    but it does offer the advantage that I can take advantage of all
    the advancements in the config files.  (No, I don't like puns :-)
    OTOH, when they ever change this `CHANGE_THIS' stuff, I'll be
    bitten...

kai
--
I like _b_o_t_h kinds of music.