Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 12:45:28 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Cejka Rudolf <cejkar@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd-questions@freebsd.org)
Subject:   Re: Bug in the process-scheduler & niceness of 20?

I have found old discussion about task scheduler:

> On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Hrvoje Husic wrote:
>
> > >Make sure the process is set to idle priority then.
> >
> > So what is niceness used for in FreeBSD, if it does not make processes nice?
>
> Process priority in FreeBSD is two-dimensional:  there are three main
> queues, realtime, normal, and idle.  Realtime processes will never be
> preempted except by a process with higher priority, an idle processes will
> never run unless there are no processes ready to run in the realtime or
> normal queues.  See idprio(8) for info.  Niceness controls scheduling
> within in each queue.

Yes, ok. But why is niceness control _so very_ insensitive?
How can I increase nice sensitivity?

Example:

	1. process with nice = 0:  CPU = 65 %
	2. process with nice = 20: CPU = 30 %

Ratio 2:1 is _too_ small. How can I reach ratio 5:1 or bigger?
idprio is unusable for this purpose. Time ratio reacheble with idprio
is 1:1 or infinity:none.