Date:      Sat, 2 Oct 1999 09:33:25 -0400
From:      Rick Knebel <rknebel@uplink.net>
To:        "Michael Akers" <mwakers@home.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Scsi Tape backup

On Sat, 02 Oct 1999, you wrote:
> Rick,
> Did you set the Adaptec Card termination to off? This must be done if you
> are going to have an internal device and an external device on the SCSI bus.
> Each END of the SCSI bus MUST be terminated. The SCSI controller card, in
> this instance, termination must be set to off. ( I am assuming here that you
> are using an Adaptec card that has a BIOS setup routine. )

Actually it is set to automatic. I tried turing it to off and it did not mmake
a difference.

A really wierd thing I found now is that if I have the case open and the tape
drive hanging out of the machine it works fine and is recognized on bootup and
is fuctional.

As soon as I put it in the case anbd connect it it does not work anymore.
I have a atapi tape drive right above it.
I don't know if this could be the problem.

I also looked at the tape drive and the jumpers for parity and termination are
in the on postion.

I presume this is the right postion.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rick

> Michael Akers
> M. Akers Enterprises
> Unix/NT Systems Administration and Systems Integration

Rick Knebel
rknebel@uplink.net
http://rknebel.uplink.net