Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 20:43:21 -0500
From:      ScaryG <freymann@scaryg.shacknet.nu>
To:        <beauford.2002@rogers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Couple of small Newbie questions?

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002 20:22:25 -0800
"Beauford" <beauford.2002@rogers.com> wrote:

> 2. Everything gets output to the screen.

 Controlled by /etc/syslog.conf

 You'll see lots of stuff sent to the console. Take 'em out, send them to
a file if they aren't already, kill -HUP your syslogd and you're off.

> 3. Firewall rules appear when booting. How do I stop this, or have then
> redirected to a file. If possible.

 Add firewall_quiet="YES" to your /etc/rc.conf file.

> 4. Final. In Linux I can hold the shift key and page up to see what has
> scrolled off the screen. Is there something similar in FreeBSD?

 Yes, press your Scroll Lock key and use the Up and Down arrows. Not sure
how big the scroll back buffer is.

Gerry
Domain Hosting / Web Hosting / DNS Services
http://www.interpool.ca