Date:      Tue, 21 May 2002 21:49:07 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   QuickTime on FreeBSD!

I got Apple's QuickTime Player to install and play a movie under
FreeBSD, using wine: the current ports version, and also CodeWeavers
preview 6 compiled from source.

The main issue seems to be that the player requires knowledge of the
machine which under linux is obtained from /proc/cpuinfo and that code
(in misc/cpu.c in the wine tree) is ifdef'd out for systems other than
linux.  So I un-ifdef'd it, and changed /proc/cpuinfo to
/compat/linux/proc/cpuinfo (I have linprocfs enabled on my system).  I
imagine, for those who don't have linprocfs, some default values could
be assumed?

After that, quicktime can start up, and open a movie, and performance is
comparable to under linux.  (A roughly 640x480 movie plays quite
smoothly.  But not in full-screen mode.)  An issue is that the window
management is terrible, one has to do a lot of keyboard/mouse juggling
to hit the right menus and start playback (this is an issue under
linux too) and the rest of the screen, and sometimes even the
quicktime window itself, gets badly messed up (not an issue under
linux.)  Also, once or twice the system locked up -- not totally, ie
the mouse pointer could be moved, but I couldn't do anything, not even
kill the X session with ctrl-alt-bksp or access a virtual console.

Has anyone else had success with quicktime/wine?

- Rahul