Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 22:42:22 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on the Intel-UNIX standard

> > There's no need for the reference implementation to be GPL-contaminated
> > - it can be shipped as patches to the Linux kernel rather than
> > integrated with it, and those patches need not be GPL'ed.
>
> I don't think this is correct.  I believe the patches would count as a
> derived work, and thus would be covered by the GPL.  :-(

They would.  But you could seperate the patches from the implementation.

The main problem is that the contribution of changes would need to
be back to the UDI source base, rather than to Linux, to be able
to facilitate any OS other than Linux, and to keep the standard
from fragmenting.

It also seems to me that Linux will be in the same boat as FreeBSD,
in that it will have to convince vendors to recompile under Linux,
since it is a source-level standard, and Adaptec is not going to
release their source code to them any more than to us.

FWIW: There is not mention of Linux that I have been able to find on
the UDI WWW pages.  I have sent email off to the contacts concerning
the contents of the directory:

	ftp://ftp.cup.hp.com/pub/hp_stds/udi/pub_include/

And the licensing policy for the files on that site.  I expect a
response in the near future (i.e., let's not all mail-bomb them).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.