Date:      Wed, 2 Apr 2003 18:33:50 +0200
From:      Maxime Henrion <mux@freebsd.org>
To:        Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: call for testers: busdma-ified fxp(4) driver

Fred Clift wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Maxime Henrion wrote:
>
> > > My fxp(4) patch should now be nearly commit ready.
> > > someone with an alpha box and a fxp(4) card could test this  patch
> >
> > Sorry to follow-up to myself, but this patch had some bogus and
> > irrelevant diffs in it.  I'm attaching a fixed one now.  It can also be
> > found at http://mu.org/~mux/patches/if_fxp.patch.
>
> Well, the patch seems to work just fine - better performance now in fact.
>
> I did a bunch of scp/ftp type stuff of big and a bunch of small files just
> to ensure everyting was working and then I used /usr/ports/net/netperf to
> try and characterize performance a bit.  After you install the port there
> is a script /usr/local/netperf/snapshot_script that tries to give a
> reasonable snapshot of network performance under a variety of conditions,
> and with a few different parameters...  The target machine was a 400Mhz
> pentium II box (sadly, this and the alpha are the two fastest machines I
> own...) with '4.7-STABLE FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE #5: Mon Nov 11 12:15:39 MST
> 2002' (+ a few security patches) with a newer fxp card
>
> fxp0@pci0:9:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x000c8086 chip=0x12298086 rev=0x08
> hdr=0x00
>
> Both of these boxes plugged into an SMC 10/100 switch...  I would have
> just used a cross-over cable except I forgot to bring it with me and
> didn't feel like making one.
>
> Attached to this email you'll find the output of snapshot_script for the
> old driver (about two weeks old cvsup), the output of the modified driver,
> and the output of the script run on the integrated dc NIC, just for fun
> and comparison.
>
> Some sample results at one particular set of parameters:
>
> before: throughput in 10^6 bits/sec  39.18
> after: throughput in 10^6 bits/sec   94.11
> (dc):  throughput in 10^6 bits/sec   70.97
>

> Honestly I'm suprised there is so much difference between the before and
> after and I'm doubting my testing methodology -- perhaps I had the duplex
> set wrong on the alpha on the 'before'?  shrug.  I didn't shut down, or
> change at all, the target test box between the two tests. At any rate, the
> patch seems to work fine on my alpha on the one card I had time to test
> (older, slightly larger formfactor etherexpress pro 100).  If you can wait
> till tomorrow, I can probably squeeze in time for testing one or two other
> fxp hardware revs I have...
>
> The card I did test on shows up as this:
>
> pciconf -v -l
> fxp0@pci1:8:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x00098086 chip=0x12298086 rev=0x04
> hdr=0x00
>     vendor   = 'Intel Corporation'
>     device   = '82557/8/9 EtherExpress PRO/100(B) Ethernet Adapter'
>     class    = network
>     subclass = ethernet

Great, many thanks to you for testing this!  I'm also very surprised
about that huge performance improvement, I just can't see how this patch
could improve performance :-).  If you feel like and have time to do
some more performance testing, that would be very interesting.

I'm going to commit this patch now.

Cheers,
Maxime