Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 2015 09:47:34 -0600
From:      Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
To:        frank2@fjl.co.uk, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, lenzi.sergio@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: /cd0 held open but no files reported

On 04/29/15 03:31, Frank Leonhardt wrote:

> On 24/04/2015 20:12, Gary Aitken wrote:
>> I have a situation I'd like some insights on...
>>
>> running 9.2 release on an AMD 64, X with xfce4
>>
>> I mounted a CD from root: #mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0 /cd0 Accessed
>> some files on the CD using gimp. Exited gimp
>>
>> When I try to umount, I get the message: #umount /cd0 umount:
>> unmount of /cd0 failed: Device busy
>
> How about using gvfs-mount -u instead?

Unfortunately, that doesn't work as expected:

# gvfs-mount -u /cd0
Error finding enclosing mount: Containing mount does not exist

looks like umount -f will have to do.

> I've not had the pleasure of using Gnome on FreeBSD specifically, but
> as no one else has answered and given what gvfs mounting deamons seem
> to get up to, I'd be surprised if a kernel umount was ever going to
> work.

yeah, that appears to be the case.

On 04/29/15 05:58, sergio de Almeida Lenzi wrote:
> fstat | grep cd0
> will tell you what is the program holding the ope files...
> probably gvfs daemon...

Thanks, that shed some light;
Turns out it is
  gvfsd-trash

I suspect the home, file system, and trash concepts in xfce4 force gvfsd-trash
to run, as they activate file system browsers which allow dragging to a
trash-bin.  But why the trash-bin holds /cd0 open is a mystery, especially
if it is read-only media.

thanks for the reply.

Gary