Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 2004 17:03:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <login@istop.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Subject:   Re: UPS on FreeBSD

Thanks to all. Now we getin' somewhere....

Per the link provided by Robert, I did the followings:

1) re-compile/install the kernel by hashing the uhid device.
# device    uhid     # "Human Interface Devices"
2) reboot the system to launch/verify (uname -a) the newer kernel
3) deinstall apcupsd which was previously installed from /usr/ports
4) download/install this newer beta apcupsd from the link provided
with ./configure --enable-usb option. Perhaps, this option was not
on as I noticed that I can not run apcupsd and got this error message:
Most likely, you need to add --enable-usb to your ./configure options.
5) set DEVICE /dev/ugen0 in the apcupsd.conf
6) ran the apcupsd as follows:
/sbin/apcupsd -f /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf --kill-on-powerfail

7) ran apcaccess and here is output:

# apcaccess
APC      : 001,034,0871
DATE     : Fri Oct 08 15:39:24 EDT 2004
HOSTNAME : host.domain.com
RELEASE  : 3.10.15
VERSION  : 3.10.15 (26 August 2004) freebsd
UPSNAME  : host.domain.com
CABLE    : USB Cable
MODEL    : Back-UPS RS 1500
UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
STARTTIME: Fri Oct 08 15:19:58 EDT 2004
STATUS   : ONLINE
LINEV    : 115.0 Volts
LOADPCT  :  10.0 Percent Load Capacity
BCHARGE  : 100.0 Percent
TIMELEFT :  77.4 Minutes
MBATTCHG : 5 Percent
MINTIMEL : 3 Minutes
MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds
LOTRANS  : 097.0 Volts
HITRANS  : 132.0 Volts
ALARMDEL : Always
BATTV    : 26.8 Volts
NUMXFERS : 0
TONBATT  : 0 seconds
CUMONBATT: 0 seconds
XOFFBATT : N/A
SELFTEST : NO
STATFLAG : 0x02000008 Status Flag
MANDATE  : 2004-03-20
SERIALNO : JB0412048005
BATTDATE : 2001-09-25
NOMBATTV :  24.0
FIRMWARE : .g8 .D USB FW:g8
APCMODEL : Back-UPS RS 1500
END APC  : Fri Oct 08 15:39:26 EDT 2004
#

8) Next, unplugged the UPS from power outlet, and noticed
STATUS   : ONBATT besides many other factor chaning as time goes by.

9) I also ran apctest and ran all tests/date verifications etc. All
passed.

Next, I called APC, they are going to send me RJ45 <--> Serial cable for
this UPS. Now I am debating to go with this setup or replace the above cable
and run apcupsd from /usr/ports/sysutils and go serially.

Thanks Robert again. This was not possible without your kind effort in
locating the right resources. Special thanks goes to Adam Kropelin for
bringing Beta apcupsd USB driver for FreeBSD. This document will be a good
start for those who want to have USB based UPS hooked with FreeBSD OS.

S. Mohammad [ login@istop.com ]

Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com> said:

> login@istop.com writes:
>
> >  Any thoughts and/or workaround to have UPS working on FreeBSD
> >  especially via USB cable? Thanks!
>
> 	1) apcupsd does not currently support USB connections for
> FreeBSD.
> 	2) There is a _beta_ version - availiable at
> "http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?
thread_id=5525131&forum_id=26961"