Date:      Sat, 3 Oct 1998 14:05:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Dean <brdean@unx.sas.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   pppd[293]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

Hi,

I am having trouble convincing my client-side 'pppd' to talk to the
server connection:

Oct  3 13:41:18 vger pppd[293]: Serial connection established.
Oct  3 13:41:19 vger pppd[293]: Using interface ppp0
Oct  3 13:41:19 vger pppd[293]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/cuaa1
Oct  3 13:41:49 vger pppd[293]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

I've tried variations of compression and a few other pppd options
(including 'passive') that look somewhat related but have not been
able to get the two sides to negotiate the connection.

OS   : FreeBSD 3.0-980929-SNAP
pppd : pppd version 2.3 patch level 5

My associated kernel configs are:
device sio1 at isa? port "IO_COM2" flags 0x20000 tty irq 3 vector siointr
pseudo-device   bpfilter        4       #Berkeley packet filter
pseudo-device   ppp     2               #Point-to-point protocol
options PPP_BSDCOMP                     #PPP BSD-compress support
options PPP_DEFLATE                     #PPP zlib/deflate/gzip support
options PPP_FILTER                      #enable bpf filtering (needs bpfilter)

I have a nearly identical pppd config running on a NetBSD SPARC 5
machine that works good.  That machine uses pppd version 2.3 patch
level 1.

Any ideas as to what I'm missing for it under FreeBSD?

Thanks,
-Brian
--
Brian Dean, brdean@unx.sas.com