Date:      Tue, 03 Dec 1996 17:00:52 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The Instructions and my inabilty to get BSD installed when using them

> I found the installation from a dos partition to be the most confusing.
> What seems to me to be a simple install is quite confounding.

The instructions are actually quite simple - your problem lies,
unfortunately, elsewhere.

> instructions. Depending on the source path I chose I recieved error
> messages "unable to find distribution - bin" or "write error".

The write error occurred when you had the files in the correct
location but ran into another problem, where the DOS partition could
not be read from.  This is a known problem and only occurs with *some*
DOS partitions.  We are in the middle of a complete rewrite of the DOS
filesystem code right now but that will not happen in time to help
you.

> I was unable to use the ftp media settings because I was unable to
> "resolve host ftp.freebsd.org". I then nslookuped ftp.freebsd.org and
> used the IP address and was unable to connect. I have a NE2000

This is another problem, perhaps having to do with your network
settings - I cannot say.  I assume that ed0 is being probed correctly
and that your network connetion is good.  All I can say is that
many many thousands of people have made this particular installation
type work and you should probably read the HARDWARE.TXT file again
to make sure that your ed0 device is properly configured and then
verify your nameserver/gateway/IP/netmask values for correctness.

Finally, this is the wrong mailing list. :) You want freebsd-questions
not freebsd-doc - this mailing list is for discussing the ongoing
maintainance of the handbook and FAQs.

				Jordan