Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 1996 14:11:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
Cc:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Has the copyright dust settled?

On Wed, 3 Jan 1996, Sean Kelly wrote:

> 1. Redistributions of the source documentation (``SGML code'') must
>    retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the
>    following disclaimer.

1. Redistributions of the documentation source must retain [...]

> 2. Redistributions in formatted form, including but not limited to
>    plain computer-encoded text, material formatted for a typesetting
>    system, hypertext, and printed matter, must reproduce the above
>    copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
>    disclaimer in the front matter or its non-printed equivalent and/or
>    other materials provided with the distribution.

I don't like the last two lines, starting with "or its...".  They are
vague, but I'm not sure what should be better.

>From the Chicago Manual of Style, 14th edition:

 4.26 The copyright notice should be placed so as to give reasonable
      notice to the consumer.  The old law was very specific about its
      location: for book, on either the title page or the page immediately
      following, and for journals and magazines, on the title page, the
      first page of text or the front cover.  Present law simply states
      that the notice should be so placed "as to give reasonable notice
      of the claim of copyright," but most publishers continute to place
      the notice in the traditional locations required by the old law.

The ultimate question is how a lawyer would define "reasonable".  I'm in
no position to even speculate on such issues.

-john

== http://fieber-john.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ============