From:      "Kevin Hui - DCS" <khui@cs.toronto.edu>
To:        "Alfred Perlstein" <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Experiencing very slow raw write speeds on /dev/ad1

Thank you, Alfred, for the hint.

Adding write caching helped a lot.  Now the write speed jumps to ~15.8MB/s
instead of the previous 3.5MB/s.
Are there any other such settings I should pay attention to?  I asked
because I believe that the performance is still not as good as can be.  I
have the rawio program running under Linux with the identical hardware
(accessing the /dev/raw/raw0, which maps to /dev/hdb) and I got ~38.4MB/s
raw write speed (BTW I get ~38.4MB/s from both Linux and FreeBSD when I do
the single-process raw sequential read test).

Thanks,
-Kevin.