Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 2014 22:15:03 +0100
From:      Tijl Coosemans <tijl@FreeBSD.org>
To:        dweimer@dweimer.net
Cc:        'FreeBSD Questions' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: converters/php55-iconv

On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 12:38:32 -0600 dweimer wrote:
> On 02/11/2014 8:17 am, Dale Scott wrote:
>>> Does anybody know if its possible to get the converters/php55-iconv
>>> port to install on FreeBSD 10 without, installing converters/libiconv?
>>
>> Installed ok for me. I built php5 from ports in order to build the
>> Apache module, then built php55-iconv from ports using php5-extensions.
>>
>> $ uname -a
>> FreeBSD firefly.scc.local 10.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE #0 r260789:
>> Fri Jan 17 01:46:25 UTC 2014
>> root@snap.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>> $ pkg info | grep iconv
>> php55-iconv-5.5.7              The iconv shared extension for php
>> $
>
> It does install, and work, however it also installed
> converters/libiconv, after which devel/pear failed to build.  Also NUT
> stopped working, at least it wouldn't load my UPS driver (powerpannel)
> removing converters/php55-iconv and converters/libiconv fixed the pear
> build issue, and rebuilding sysutils/nut without it installed resolved
> its issue as well. (well actually I rebuilt all ports, NUT doesn't
> require libiconv, but it uses gmake, which does).
>
> I may have been hit by the order in which I installed things, having
> some things using one iconv and the others another.  However a
> portmaster -af failed to correct the issue until removing
> converters/libiconv.

When upgrading to FreeBSD 10 you can continue to use your installed ports
but once you want to update or rebuild a port it may be best to remove all
ports first and then reinstall them.  So many things have change in FreeBSD
10 that reinstalling one by one like portmaster does may not be sufficient.