Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 2003 01:50:20 +0100 (BST)
From:      David Carter-Hitchin <david@carter-hitchin.clara.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        ru@freebsd.org
Subject:   5406 warnings during buildworld & other q's

Hi Free BSDers,

Sorry about my question overload here.

I've just successfully cvsup'd to -STABLE (I think), done a buildworld,
installworld and rebuilt the kernel.  Everything seemed to go generally ok
but I had a few observations/questions:

a) Firstly I had difficulty finding much information about the specific
tag I should use in the "tag=" line in the cvsup file.  I can't remember
accurately all the places I looked, but it included the handbook, faq, the
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile and Greg Lehey's book (3rd ed.).
The one place I didn't look was on the website, but I couldn't do that as
after a unsuccessful buildworld (with cvsup "tag=."), my web browser gave
up working at all and just coredumped.

Can someone clarify where definitive and up to date information regards
the tag entries can be found?  In the end I plumped for RELENG_4 (as
recommended by the stable-supfile), I've ended up with 4.9-RC - is that a
stable version?  I was a bit concerned to see someone else on this list
mentioned RELENG_4_8, which I understood was the STABLE version so it
would be cool to have clarification.

b) The first run of buildworld failed as vgrind was not on my system. I
hunted down vgrind under /usr/src/usr.bin, built that and ran buildworld
successfully a second time.

c) buildworld generated 5406 warnings.  Some examples are:

yppasswdd_server.o(.text+0xba9): warning: mktemp() possibly used
unsafely; consider using mkstemp()

/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/as/i386-freebsd/../../../../../contrib/binutils/
include/opcode/i386.h:1094:
warning: initialization discards qualifiers from pointer target type

I have uploaded the logs to:

http://www.carter-hitchin.clara.co.uk/logs/buildworld.log.gz
http://www.carter-hitchin.clara.co.uk/logs/installworld.log.gz

Are these warnings normal?  Should I run buildworld again?  I should note
here that I was previously running 4.2

d) installworld failed the first time as the user 'smmsp' didn't
exist.  I dutifully followed the advice given in UPGRADE by building
and running mergemaster.  Second run of installworld also failed - at
mergemaster, saying "Don't know how to build mergemaster.sh".  I'm not
sure if I did the right thing, but copying  /usr/sbin/mergemaster to the
source directory /usr/src/usr.sbin/mergemaster and renaming it to
mergemaster.sh, fixed the problem.  Can anyone comment on this?

e) 'cvsup -g -L2 ports-supfile' now generates an error:
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libm.so.2: Undefined symbol "__stderrp"

I checked the timestamp on both ld-elf.so.1 and libm.so.2 and they were
built today - anyone know what might have caused this?  Do I need to
rebuild cvsup, if so how?

f) At some point (I think after doing a cvsup with "tag=RELENG_4" I lost
all my ports files - the only files I can see under /usr/ports/*/* are
Readme.html's.  Is that a bug?  Luckily I kept a copy of my ports tree so
I'll use that until I can figure out e) above.

Many thanks for your help,

David