Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 1998 16:05:30 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        joelh@gnu.org
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, dag-erli@ifi.uio.no, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: File I/O in kernel land (was: Re: 2nd warning: 2.2.6 BETA begins in 10 days!)

> >> With that in mind, I have a "bouncing logo" screen saver lkm (think
> >> daemon_saver_mod crossed with splashkit) I'd like to submit. However,
> >> I'd like to have the logo as a separate file rather than compile it
> >> into the lkm, but I haven't had much luck finding out how to do file
> >> I/O in kernel land. Could somebody give me a hint before i go berserk
> >> and read the entire kernel source to find out? :)
> > It's extremely tedious.  You'd be better off adding an ioctl hook to
> > the screensaver module and adding an extra console ioctl to pass
> > commands to the screensaver.
>
> I must be missing something here.  What would be sending the commands,
> so that he gets the logo file?

Whatever he was planning to use to send the filename to the saver so
that it can find it in the first place.

In my current dlopen() mania, I would be inclined to add some extra
functions to the saver module such that you could hook it into
vidcontrol and have it talk to itself.

ie. after you load "bitmap_saver.o" into the kernel, you'd run
something like:

# vidcontrol -x bitmap "add 10 image.gif"

which would load the bitmap_saver object into vidcontrol, look for the
saver_ioctl_call function and pass it the command string.
\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\