Date:      Sat, 18 May 2002 04:17:49 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail replacement?

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 09:49:04PM -0500, Lars Eighner wrote:
> Is there some way to eliminate sendmail and replace it with something
> else?
>
> For example, freebsd mailing lists bounce my mail because I connect
> by dialup and get a dynamic IP.  If it is possible to get sendmail
> to deal with this properly I can't dig it out of the wonderful
> sendmail documentation.
>
> On the other hand, simple little mailers such as nbsmtp (mo brainer
> smtp) can be pointed at my ISP's smtp server and work just fine (as
> you can see, since this got through to the mailing list).
>
> I don't see why, if something as small and simple as nbsmtp can handle
> the situation properly, sendmail can't.  But it is pretty obvious sendmail
> is horribly bloated.  Can't something lower-level handle intrasystem
> mail (such as the various reports to root) while something as simple
> as nbsmtp handles outgoing mail?

I use exim, which is pretty much a drop-in replacement for sendmail.
It is in the ports tree.

However, I have never had problems like you describe when I did use
sendmail and a dial-up line.  What do you have specified under DS in
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf?  Try setting it to your ISP's SMTP server.  If
nbsmtp can use it, then so should sendmail if DS is set.  You may also
want to set DM to show your domain name.

As far as choosing your MTA, I know mutt lets you specify what program
to call by means of a config variable that simply points to your chosen
MTA.  I am sure other mail clients allow you to do similar.

HTH

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \