Date:      Wed, 25 Jan 1995 01:43:31 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        julian@tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: disklabel (1.1.5.1), partitions

> > I had disk problems on 'gil' recently (hopefully solved) - reformatted
> > a Fuji M2694S using SCSICNTL.
> >
> > I was wondering about the following when disklabeling again:
> >
> > dmesg told me:
> >
> > 2117025    1819 cyl 15 heads  77 sec
> >
> > Using these figures in a disktab entry resulted in a warning saying that
> > partitions c,d,e exceeded end of disk. (I made them p[cde]#2117025).
> >
> > So I reduced them to what 15 * 77 * 1819 calculates to, namely 2100945
> > and disklabel kept silent.
> >
> > Did I give away some sectors ?
> >
> Unfortunatly yes...

Infact you gave away 2117025 - ( 15 * 77 * 1819) = 16080 sectors, if you
had used a translation of (64 heads * 32 sectors * 1033 cyl) you would
have only given away 1441 sectors.

> the question is "What do we do with disks with variable geometries..
> especially when the disklabel code assumes it is a fixed geometry.
>
> we calculate an 'average' number of setors per track..
> but it has to be an integer, and that truncation leads to a bunch of
> unused sectors..

And this rounded integer is one of the worse things to use when creating
a disklabel for the fact that you may give away up to (cyl * head) - 1
sectors instead of the max of translated head * sec when using translated
or fictitios geometries.

I highly recomened to anyone using the probe reported geometry to think
twice and convert to a 32 sector 64 head geometry.