Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 2004 06:53:59 -0500
From:      Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>
Subject:   Re: Mail readers

On Mar 19, 2004, at 2:49 AM, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:

> Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com> writes:
>
>> No. Nothing. Format=3Dflowed applies solely to plain-text messages. =
HTML
>> messages already have something functionally equivalent to f=3Df: the
>> <BLOCKQUOTE> attribute, which... um... quotes blocks of text. When =
f=3Df
>> mailers that also can handle HTML encounter <BLOCKQUOTE> text, it=92s
>> usually marked up with the same excerpt bars we=92re familiar with =
from
>> f=3Df. Format=3Dflowed isn=92t actually at work there, but since
>> <BLOCKQUOTE> text flows nicely when you resize a window, the effect =
is
>> the same.
> I've never heard of this f=3Df stuff and don't have time just now to
> investigate, but I'll keep typing anyway.  I think the problem is
> the same but worse.  f=3Df is probably spec'd in a new draft RFC and
> many mail readers don't support it, so your correspondents on a list
> list this can't handle it well.

According to the FAQ, it (f=3Df) was developed (IIRC) by Qualcomm to not=20=

solve any problem in particular.  However, this form of formatting=20
would allow text to be easily formatted into columns readable by any=20
kind of simple display...i.e., PDAs and cellphones with text messaging=20=

and email, etc. and at the same time it would easily scale to larger=20
(PC) displays with pretty formatting and proper wrapping.  Older=20
readers would just ignore the formatting characters and mangle it=20
accordingly.

Oddly enough (if my current theory holds) where the invisible f=3Df=20
formatting is inserted in an Apple app is dependent on the width of the=20=

composition window...which on my iBook really sucks because this window=20=

looks so NARROW compared to what I'm used to, hoping that other=20
people's mail readers work a little better with reading my posts to the=20=

list.  I haven't heard other people complaining as much about my mail=20
wrapping at the 120 mark, so I'm hoping that maybe this will make it=20
easier for others...

It shouldn't be that hard for terminal mailers to adopt f=3Df, if I'm=20
understanding it properly...just be a matter of time.

-Bart