Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 17:51:33 -0600
From:      Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>
To:        Freebsd Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PPP Nat or NATd

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 02:49:56PM +0100, John Murphy wrote:
> Khalil.Haddad@ubs.com wrote:
>
> >Hello all,
> >
> >I have a ppp xDSL connection. I am currently using the internal ppp NAT
> >to manage my internat network. For now this system is working as a
> >charm.
> >
> >I would like to ask you wether I should use NATd ?
> >
> >I am asking myself this because I might in a near future need more NAT
> >functions like port redirecting etc ...
>
> ppp nat does port redirection.  From man 8 ppp
> nat port proto targetIP:targetPort[-targetPort] aliasPort[-aliasPort]
>     [remoteIP:remotePort[-remotePort]]
>     This command causes incoming proto connections to aliasPort to be
>     redirected to targetPort on targetIP.  proto is either ``tcp'' or ``udp''.

I need some clarification please. 'man 8 ppp' is up on my gateway box as
I'm writing this post. I also read
www.freebsd.org/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/ppp.html and the other relevant
docs at freebsd.org.

I'm curious about the optional [-targetport], [aliasPort] and
[-remotePort] above. I'm trying to dovetail these to an example given at
the above URL, as follows:

Red Alert example:

nat port udp InternalMachine:8675 8675

Does the second '8675' refer to 'aliasPort'? When do you use the '-blah'
format? Does the above 'nat' synopsis mean one can use either:

nat port proto targetIP:targetPort aliasPort [remoteIP:remotePort]

or

nat port proto -targetPort -aliasPort [-remotePort]

TIA...
--
-duke
Calgary, Alberta, Canada