Date:      Wed, 04 Jul 2001 10:06:59 -0600
From:      Don Wilde <Don@Silver-Lynx.com>
To:        Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD, .Net comments - any reponse to this reasoning?

Technical Information wrote:

> Actually, I've heard that Borland is going to be implementing a similar
> scheme in its next generation of development tools and require the user to
> register online or by some other means in order to get a key to run the
> software for more than a limited period of time.  Your software then
> essentially becomes a very expensive time-limited shareware demo until you
> complete that process.
>
> Just as Microsoft led the Windows application industry away from version
> numbers (like 3.11, 4.0, 6.2a, etc.), I suspect that their legitimizing
> this new form of licensing will incite a lot of other companies to follow
> their lead.  Hopefully they won't all start telling us that we'll have to
> renew those licenses every few years or so either.

I'm sure they will stop supporting older versions, just as M$ doesn't
support W3.1 or (hardly) W95. As soon as users get trapped into
upgrading their Windows, all their old software becomes trash. This will
be a Very Good Thing for platforms like ours, even though it will almost
certainly tank our American economy.

For example, Cadence bought OrCAD. They now want $2.5G a year from me
for the "privilege" of receiving bugfixes for their low-end product,
which cost me a total of $6G in the first place. Time to start looking
at helping to write gEDA...

--
Don Wilde           http://www.Silver-Lynx.com
Silver Lynx   Embedded Microsystems Architects