Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 15:09:28 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Sasha Egan <wildcard@dax.belen.k12.nm.us>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP:PAP:WIN95:FreeBSD

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Doug White wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Sasha Egan wrote:
>

> > > I have the hacked version of pppd installed in /usr/sbin
> > > bash$ ls -al pppd
> > > -r-sr-xr-x  1 root  bin  77824 Apr 16 11:28 pppd
> >
> > >Huh?  You shouldn't have to hack pppd.
> >
> > This version does some things that the old pppd couldn't do...it operates
> > with mods to update utmp when someone logs in using pap against the system
> > pwd.db and to use ppp.disabled and ppp.shells which act like /etc/shells.
> > utmp modes are in 2.2-RELEASE but this version fixes some bugs.
> > That is quoted from the README attached with the pppkit pppd.
>
> I thought that had been fixed recently in pppd, but perhaps I'm thinking
> of usermode ppp.
>
> Did you create the ppp.ports file?  That seems to the core of the whole
> operation.
Uh huh..I did, here it is:
 #c00    206.206.121.43
#c01    206.206.121.44
#c02    206.206.121.45
#c03    206.206.121.46
c00     192.168.110.243
c01     192.168.110.244
c02     192.168.110.245
c03     192.168.110.246

I also tried putting the correct subnet mask after them and dialing...but
I don't think that the variable is passed in ppplogin.sh

> > here is ppplogin.sh and fancyppplogin.sh they are identecie I think.
>
> fancyppplogin lists out some mail bits for some reason.
>
> > > bash$ cat /etc/ppp/options
> > > dns1 192.168.1.1
> > > proxyarp
> >
> > >Hm, no pap, no address specification.
> >
> > >Danger Will Robinson:  This setup allows *unauthenticated* access to your
> > >machine.  You will want to add `+pap' to options to force PAP
> > >authentication.
> >
> > it is forced...if you look in the shell scripts that I sent you will see
> > that it is included in the called command lines. The scripts do nothing
> > but set certain variables for each of the options that pppd requires.
>
> Yes, I saw.   Thanks for the scripts, it looks like they've been making
> the rounds.

I have recieved some sugestions as to turin on IP forwarding...when I do
none of my network connections work...when I boot up it with the option
turned on in /etc/rc.conf nothing networkish works.
options         GATEWAY 		#PPP router support
options         ARP_PROXYALL            #PPP proxy for PPP domain

These are in my kernel so I know that it isn't it...
any ideas?