Date:      Mon, 05 Jun 2000 15:41:25 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: recent imports

Will Andrews wrote:

> Hi Satoshi,
>
> Other members of the project told me about your email regarding the
> recent imports I did of several archivers from NetBSD (strangely enough,
> I never received either one).  You said that macutils, unlzx, undms, and
> others belonged in emulators because they handle archives used on other
> operating systems.  The macutil import was a blunder, for sure (I should
> have done a ``make search key'' at the least).  However, I've never seen
> anything in the PH/PCG stating that programs intended to handle archiving
> formats primarily used on other OSs should go in emulators.  Personally,
> I see no good reason why they should be in emulators.  Perhaps you could
> clear up the matter for me ?

IMHO it is very strange idea to put archivers capable to handle archives used
on other OSes into emulators category. Under this assumption we probably should
move stuff like Gnumeric, KOffice. AbiWord, StarOffice etc. into emulators as
well just because those programs allow using data created on other platforms
(most notably Win32/MSOffice).

-Maxim