Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2011 20:36:44 +0100
From:      Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
To:        Lev Serebryakov <lev@serebryakov.spb.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Yamagi Burmeister <lists@yamagi.org>
Subject:   Re: Juniper e3k with ports limitied to 100Mbit and re NICs on MSI MoBo: problems with duplex negotiation (Hetzner host provider discard FreeBSD support due this bug)

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 01:53:30PM +0300, Lev Serebryakov wrote:
> Hello, Yamagi.
> You wrote 11 ?????? 2011 ?., 13:30:23:
>
> > Hi,
> > I've got several Hetzner EQ4 and on all these machines FreeBSD 8.1 runs
> > just fine. I've never seen this strange negotiation problem myself. But
> > maybe I was just lucky and got working mainboard and nic combinations.
> > So if further information is needed, I'm happy to provide it.
>   It is known, that problems are in DC 13 and everything wotrks fine
>  in DC 11 and DC 12.
>
>   I've discussed this problem in local (Russian-speaking) FreeBSD
> community, and there are several people in DC 13 who HAVE these
> problems and found different solutions, but all non-technical ones:
> order gigabit connectivity, or pay for moving servers to other (old)
> DCs...

If the latter means that the servers are physically moved as opposed
to a new one being allocated this implies that re(4)/rgephy(4) isn't
the sole factor responsible for this problem. In any case it would be
helpful to have the corresponding dmesg bits as the Linux counterpart
does some black magic for certain hardware versions when setting the
media manually but re(4) doesn't which might be relevant in this
scenario.

Marius