Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 18:36:15 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATAPI related patch ..

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> > I thought that the low level scsi i/o routines did just that io with
> > ioctls...
>
> The low-level SCSI I/O routines need a freeform I/O approach, and
> they're designed for casual poking at things in an out-of-band fashion,
> sort of like a SCSI geek-port.
>
> Luigi's hack is for CDDA (sucking audio off the CD) acccess; this is
> basically bulk data transfer.  Being a read-like operation, it's better
> handled as such.

	Actually, CDDA is one way of doing it...tosha appears to be the
other way, but, as currently distributed, tosha only supports SCSI
CDs...this patch, as well as one for tosha, were produced to provide those
of us without SCSI subsystems on their machines the ability to 'suck audio
off the CD', like those with SCSI can already do :(

> With a little more work, once you support audio accesses in the driver
> properly, you become able to produce a "cdrom audio FS", where tracks
> on the disk appear as files when the disk is mounted.
>
> I appreciate that Luigi's hack is expedient, and as I said if there's a
> strong precedent (ie. binary compatability issues) then sure, we should
> support it.

	In Luigi's defence...this was not his hack, he's only kept a copy
that he's provided for those of us that wish to be able to read audio
tracks off of our CDs...

	My opinion tends to be to bring in something that does work, and
then from there, improve it...else it never gets done :(  This patch may
not be the best way to do it, but it is one way, and, as far as I can
tell, it doesn't disrupt anything in the kernel, since I'm running live
with it right now...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org