Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2013 23:32:00 +0100
From:      kaltheat@googlemail.com
To:        Istvan Gabor <suseuser04@lajt.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: configure recursively and build question

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 05:45:07PM +0100, Istvan Gabor wrote:
> Hello:
>
> As there are no compiled FreeBSD 9.1 packages for pkg_tools I decided to build them.
> Last I started to build kde3. First I issued make configure-recursive in
> /usr/ports/x11/kde3, then make install clean, and left the computer for overnight to work.
> I expected a successful build by the morning but instead I found a screen requiring some
> config options (for apache). I selected the options and the build went on.
> But later other config windows came up, so far for mysqlclient, sane-backends,
> tk, tcl, libxine and sdl. So my question are:
>
> What is configure-recursive good for then? I thought it is for preventing interactions
> during the build process. Ho can I really configure everything in one step and leave
> the computer alone?
>
> Second, after I've done a configure-recursive, how can I start it over from scratch in case
> I want to change some config option? If I reissue make configure-recursive,
> I get only no configuration needed messages.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Istvan

make config-recursive seems to be buggy.
It seems not to be recursive as this would mean that with every change of an option of
the root port or it's dependencies dependencies of the root port might change. This could mean
that make config needs to be invoked for a port that wasn't in the inital dependecy list of root
port.
The "root of all evil" seems to be in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk line 6187 ff.

You might want to use ports-mgmt/portmaster. It creates options-files of a port and it's dependencies
in a better way before starting to compile ports.

Regards,
kaltheat