Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 23:15:12 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Rob Andrews" <rob@cyberpunkz.org>, "Matthew Graybosch" <matthew@starbreaker.net>
Cc:        "Stanley Hopcroft" <Stanley.Hopcroft@IPAustralia.gov.au>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: How does FreeBSD make a difference in a government context ?

Let me offer my $0.02 here on this.  It's kind of long, but I think that most
people will enjoy this, and there's a lot of truth to it, even though it may
be insulting to a few people.

 I'm an old hand at dealing with this kind of tunnel vision.  I understand
your impatience, but there are a few things that you absolutely have to
"grok"  (If you ever read Stranger In a Strange Land you will know what I
mean)

For starters, the majority of people in the workday world do NOT really want
to be there!  Yes, I know it's strange, but seriously, those older folks in
management, well most of them have children, sometimes grandchildren, as well
as family activities and frankly, deep down they simply don't want to put
their energies into their job.  Most of them have all these other non-job
related things that are much more important to them.

Now, as people get older, these non-job parts of their life get bigger and
bigger and more important to them, while the job parts of their life get
smaller and smaller.  This is why, after all, we have such a thing as
retirement.

To add to this, as the years pass and the majority of people work longer and
longer, they get paid more and more and more.

Eventually, in the tail end of their careers, the majority of people end up in
a situation where they really don't want to be there but they are getting paid
so much and they have so many personal financial commitments (not in the least
is their own retirement nest egg) that they begin to feel completely trapped.

Now, if your under 40 years old, you probably will never get anyone over 40 in
your workplace to ever admit this to your face.  But it's the truth for most
people.

So, you can see why it is that the majority of older managers detest change.
Change means they have to learn things, and learning things takes energy.
They would far rather go home and read the newspaper with the grandkid on the
lap than read a technical manual and learn about this newfangled operating
system, FreeBSD.

Now, not all older managers are like this.  Certainly, most of the CEO's and
such you read about running multimillion dollar companies are workaholics and
don't think this way.  Certainly, any manager worth a damn is not like this.
But many of the divisional mangers, the "middle management" is a lot like
this!

So, what do you do about it, how can you get past this?

Well, the answer is so rediculously simple that I'm amazed how many younger
workers don't see it right away.  Espically as we've been RAISED on a diet of
television and the fucking awful advertising that's poured into our brains,
anyone younger than 40 ought to be a damn expert in advertising by now.

Simply put, you got to identify what it is that makes Microsoft so attractive
to these types, and present FreeBSD is such a way that it DOES IT BETTER.
And, to this type of manager, the A #1 thing that Microsoft has that is so
incredibly attractive to them, is the PERCEPTION that Windows doesen't need a
lot of time or energy or effort to use and understand!!!  So, they think "Gee,
I don't have to take a tech manual home to read to understand this stuff, so I
can spend the evening playing Bridge with the wife"

Now, in REALITY, the Windows operating system is a vast, complex, complicated
piece of software, with thousands and thousands of man-years of development in
it.  The perception that it's simple is one of the biggest, fattest, lies in
the software industry today.  It has gotten so bad, as a matter of fact, that
Microsoft has begun scrupulously avoiding SAYING outright that Windows is easy
to learn because nailing them to the wall with this kind of statement is like
shooting fish in the barrel.  But, they even more intensley have tried to give
the impression that it IS easy.  A tremendous amount of this is pure
marketing.  For example, take a look at any Microsoft print ad - ever wonder
why there's no more than 10 words on a full page ad, and most of the ad space
is thrown into the color blue and a face shot?  If the software advertised is
even present in the ad at all, it's got a tiny bit of space in the corner.
The impression they want to convey is "few words - few thing to remember -
easy - Ogg like easy! - Ogg buy easy!!!"

So, the lazy, worthless upper managers, who mostly couldn't install Windows on
a new PC to save their lives, have swallowed this BULLSHIT hook line and
sinker.

Now, take a look at how the typical younger Tech interaction with this type of
manager goes:

Fossil:  "Hey, did you get that NT server restored you were working on"

Tech:  "Yup, it's done, what a piece of shit, come take a look at this!!"

Fossil:  "Hmm, what you got going there"

Tech: "Look at this new FreeBSD system, it's so cool"

(Manager looks over shoulder at tech typing

 "cat textfile | grep "something" | sort > resultsfile"

 on a completely black text mode screen)

Fossil: "Hmm, I've never seen that before"

Tech:  "Oh, this is great stuff, look at what I can do"

(tech continues to issue cryptic commands at a high rate of speed into this
black text screen, perhaps calling up vi and making a bunch of sort and
replace
commands with strings like  /\/.\/\/\/../\./\ in them)

Fossil:  "That's nice, so what is all this for?"

Tech:  "Oh, this one server will replace the 3 other Windows servers we have"

Fossil:  "Hmmm"

Scene ends with manager walking off and thinking to themselves "Not on my
watch it won't"

Now, WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG HERE!?!?  I'll tell you - you've just completely
blown every rule in the book about good presentaiton.  If you really want to
get rid of your Windows servers and replace them with FreeBSD, the exchange
REALLY needs to go something like this:

Fossil:  "Hey, did you get that NT server built you were working on"

Tech: "Oh man, this is unbeliveable, it is not working at all, look at this!"

(Tech Cntl-Alt-Deletes the NT server, and both of them watch it get half way
through the boot process then blue-screen and dump it's guts)

Tech:  "This crap started yesterday and I've been waiting on hold for 2 hours
to talk to Microsoft Support"

(Tech points to his desk phone on Speaker and playing the raccus Microsoft
on-hole advertising)

Fossil: "Gee, do you think you can get this solved today and the server back"

Tech:  "Oh, man, no way, we will be lucky if we can get any of the critical
data back by the end of the week!"

(Tech then launches into a long explanation of how tremendously complicated a
new NT installation will be as well as how many reboots and service packs and
patches will be needed to be installed, followed by a long explanation of how
the unreliable backup may not restore anything)

Fossil, beginning to panic: "Is there anything we can possibly do in the
interim"

Tech:  "Well, I have this FreeBSD server I've been experimenting with that
might work out until the NT server is backonline"

Fossil:  "Let's see it"

Tech:  "Well, I've got the user accounts in here already"

(Tech then switches to the FreeBSD console which is running the xdm graphical
login screen, logs in, immediately runs Netscape and calls up Webmin, then
clicks on a few icons to display the user accounts)

Fossil: "Hmm - will this work?"

Tech:  "Oh, yes, I already ran a few tests already while I was waiting for
Microsoft support"

Fossil: "Well, put it online"

Scene ends with manager walking off and thinking "I don't understand why
Microsoft isn't getting back to us, we have a Silver support, what good is
all that damn money we pay to them"

I hope this should illustrate what you need to be doing to effectively
advocate FreeBSD to this older set of managers.  Remember, these aren't BAD
people, they are just driven by goals that are much different than yours.
Primariarly, they want a system in place that the PERCEIVE will consume the
smallest amount of their time possible.  The fact that most of them would
never be able to do something as simple as adding a user account on either a
Windows or a Web-enable FreeBSD server is entirely of no consequence to them.
We are dealing with pure perception here.

Techs inexperienced in the ways of organizational politics invariably tend to
spend MORE time talking about systems they LIKE using than systems they HATE
using.  They may say 10 words about how horrible the NT server restore was to
their manager, then say 1000 words yapping about how it needs to be replaced
by FreeBSD.  What you have to realize is that both the 1000 and the 10 words
are going in one ear and out the other - what is sticking in the managers mind
goes right back to that Microsoft marketing advert example.  More words means
more complexity and more time spent, fewer words means less complexity and
less time.
The idea that's unconsciously formed in the manager's mind is that FreeBSD is
going to take a lot of their precious time and energy while Windows won't.

If you want to get FreeBSD in, your going to have to spend some time slogging
through the mud and don't lose the least little opportunity to tell your
manager in tremendous, excrutiating detail just how much screwed up the
Windows systems are that your working with.  No screwed up design flaw, no
wart on the butt of the Windows operating system is too small for at least 2
hours of carping about how much time was burned up getting around it, fixing
it, or restructuring things to deal with it.  And, don't forget to spend as
much time as you dare burned up on hold on the Microsoft support line.  Your
organization want's Windows because it's supported - well By God you damn well
better show them what Microsoft support is REALLY like.  If you never call
Microsoft support and instead get all your Windows fixes by digging around on
the Internet - why then don't you see how easy it is for Microsoft to claim
how great their support is?  How can you tarnish something that nobody in your
organization has ever USED?!?!?

By contrast, say as LITTLE as possible about the warts on the FreeBSD
operating system's butt.  In fact, you need to make sure that every time you
mention FreeBSD it's in conjunction with how you were able to use it to bridge
over some hole in the Windows network.  And, you want to make every effort to
put any graphical interface available onto FreeBSD, even if you never use
them.  I mean, I can update a DNS record about 6 times faster with a test
editor working directly on the zone file, than I can with webmin - but by God
I make darn sure that when I'm demonstrating DNS on FreeBSD that unless the
person I'm demonstrating it is a dyed-in-the-wool techie, I never show them
anything other than the webmin interface.

Anyway, ABOVE ALL you need patience, patience, patience!!  That pair of jeans
you bought at The Gap - well you probably got a diet of 1 YEAR's worth of Gap
advertising poured into your brain before it made the connection.  But, as a
result of it you unconscously believe that the jeans at The Gap are better
than anywhere else - despite the fact that The Gap is buying them from the
same Taiwanese sweatshop that everyone else is using!!

ANYONE who has mastered FreeBSD has got far, far FAR more intelligence than
what is needed to master and understand these little perceptional tricks.
Sheesh - advertisers do this to you 1000 times a day - and there's some
tremendous morons out there advertising with quite a bit of success.  Quit
being the victim of this perceptional brainwashing game that Microsoft is
playing and take charge of it, and use it for your own ends!!

Remember - YOU are RIGHT NEXT to your mark - your manager.  You see him or her
every day.  Microsoft simply does not have the kind of access to their marks -
your manager - that you do.  The only reason that they are winning this game
is because they know all about what I've just told you and you don't.  But if
you choose to start playing, there's no way in hell that they can win against
you.