Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 2000 22:10:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Joe Warner <jswarner@uswest.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Remote printing

On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, Joe Warner wrote:

> Just about all of the printers we have at work are HP LaserJets with
> Jet Direct cards in them.  I was just trying to get my FreeBSD machine
> to print remotely to an HP 4000 just outside my cubicle.

Ah hah! the JetDirect makes it much simpler.  With a JD, you don't need
to mess around with Samba, netatalk et al. The way it works is that the
JD card appears (to the FreeBSD box) to be a computer with a printer
attached.

You can use the printer's front panel to give it an IP address, then
edit your DNS or /etc/hosts to give the printer a "host name." You will
also need to edit /etc/printcap; here's mine, in part:

# HP laser
lp|filth|lj|ps|HP LaserJet 4MV:\
	:sh:\
	:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
	:mx#0:\
	:lp=:rm=printername:rp=printername:

That last line is the important part.

> I have already received a response from someone else who also
> recommends using apsfilter.  I'll try this tomorrow.  Is apsfilter
> hard to configure?

I wasn't able to figure it out, but luckily it turned out not to be
necessary for me.

HTH.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
[1]    Bus error                     netscape