Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:28:32 -0700
From:      Darren Gamble <Darren.Gamble@sjrb.ca>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How to install 5.0 using a DAC960?

Good day,

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE on a NEC machine with a Mylex
DAC960 RAID controller.  The machine was running Red Hat Linux before, and
I've done a number of FreeBSD installations, so I didn't expect any
problems.

The install goes fine, however, after the reboot the machine immediately
hangs at the Boot Manager prompt.

The errata page for 5.0-RELEASE mentions:

 mly(4)

Hangs were reported during FreeBSD 5.0 snapshot installations when
installing to mly(4)-supported RAID arrays, in hardware configurations that
appear to work fine under FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE. These problems have been
corrected in FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT.

This certainly appears to match the symptoms, however the documentation says
the DAC960 uses the "mlx" driver, not the "mly" driver (and the "mlx" driver
was the one I loaded from the driver disk during the install).

In the hopes that this was the same problem, I tried looking for snapshots
for 5.0-CURRENT newer than -RELEASE on the various mirror sites, just so
that I could get the install done, but none were found.

My only other thought was to install from 4.X and upgrade to 5.0, but I
think that would be far too messy considering their differences.  We also
have other machines of varying hardware to install on, but they all use
DAC960 RAID controllers too.

How can I actually get FreeBSD 5.0-anything on this machine?

Please reply if there's any other information that I could supply.

Thanks in advance,

Darren Gamble
Planner, Regional Services
Shaw Cablesystems GP