Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 08:27:31 -0800
From:      Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com>
To:        'Bjarne Wichmann Petersen' <mekanix@vip.cybercity.dk>, Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: KDE 2.0.1 refuses to compile.

I've had nothing but trouble too!

> > Maybe you had crud lying around that interfered.  Did you
> try running make
> > clean in /usr/ports/x11/kde2  ?
>
> "crud"? The funny thing is, that the first time I tried
> installing 2.0.1 I couldn't use the meta-port... reported
> that 2.0.1 was already installed and "deinstall" didn't work.
> So I installed every part manually no glitches. But I wanted
> a clean install, so I removed every piece of KDE/Qt from my
> system + "make clean" and then tried the meta-port. This was
> when I got the error....

What I've been doing over the past few days is trying to install from
/stand/sysinstall.  As the meta-port attempted to install each dependency
and failed, I would go to that branch in the ports directory and run make
deinstall && make clean && make && make install.  Then I would re-run from
/stand/sysinstall and see where it failed next and repeat the process.  So
far, I haven't had any errors compiling.  But I've just finished doing this
via telnet and haven't had a chance to get to the box (at work) and see if
KDE will run.  I won't have a chance to verify this until after Christmas.

WARNING:  I'm a newbie and don't necessarily know what I'm doing.  So if
there's something here that seems unsafe, it is probably is and I'd
appreciate knowing about it.

Good Luck,

Drew