Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 19:02:23 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   mount_mfs /var on a diskless workstation

Alright, so probably I'm missing something again, like in my previous
post about mounting different subdirs in a filesystem (btw thanks to
those who replied then, all replies have been most helpful).

So..
Is there a way to cleanly shutdown (or reboot) a NFS-rooted workstation?

rc.diskless2 MFS-mounts /var, and when init(8) tries to kill the running
daemons, the /etc and /var mount_mfs's obstinately and rightly refuse
to die - /etc has /etc/ttys in use, and /var has.. lots of files, most
notably /var/db/mounttab.  As a result, mount_mfs lives, init waits quite
a while, tries to kill it with SIGKILL, fails again, and complains,
advising a ps axl..

I wonder if there might be some kind of race condition here - some
processes that received the SIGTERM, but not quite finished yet -
but anyway, just how stupid would it be if I tried to teach the kernel
to leave mount_mfs alone on a kill(-1, SIGTERM)?  Would this break
anything but init on shutdown?

G'luck,
Peter

--