Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:54:07 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        "Tom O'Connor" <tom@surety.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: JDK118, C++, pthreads, and JNI

> I have a C++ library that I am putting a Java wrapper around using JNI. When
> some objects in the C++ library are created, pthreads are also created and
> started.
>
> I compile the C++ code using g++, and then create the .so with ld,
> explicitly linking the reentrant C++ runtime, and my other C++ libraries.
> This is done because the .so wouldn't load, the exception handling symbols
> were missing.
>
> Java calls into my native call and executes until it reaches the method call
> of an object in the C++ library I'm attempting to wrap that creates and
> starts some pthreads. At that point, the JVM SEGV's.
>
> Is it possible to get JDK118, a pthread'ed C++ library accessed through JNI,
> on FreeBSD 4.0-20000714-STABLE to play nicely together?

Not very easily, if at all.  It would certainly take alot of work, and
it's not something I would recommend.

It would almost certainly require re-writing either the pthreads
internals and/or the green threads internals, since I believe both use
the same signals to do the 'threading' internally.

Basically, pthreads and the green threads implementation in the JDK are
not compatible with one another.

Nate