Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2007 13:46:55 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Given this evidence, should I be worried that I may have been hacked

--==========4B4B762E272F24D573AF==========

--On April 14, 2007 7:25:46 AM -0400 Jim Stapleton=20
<stapleton.41@gmail.com> wrote:

> Once I opened up SSH to the outside world, my machine has been
> hammered once or twice a day most days, with username failures. None
> of the  usernames would fit a username on my system (except root), and
> I have ssh set to deny root logins, and only use SSH2. Additionally, I
> have the following in my login.access (only active entry, the name
> have been changed on this, but the three names would appear as 3 and
> four character random alphabetical strings):
> -:ALL EXCEPT wrbc crr aqp:ALL EXCEPT local
>
> As of the 9th, I've only seen one set of blatant/brute-force attempt
> at my ssh server. It's interesting, but the major drop in attempts has
> me more worried than the attempts (could this drop off be because they
>  no longer need to hack me? Could they have hacked me an that be the
> reason why?)
>
> How worried should I be, and what's the best recourse for this?

I have a *lot* of experience with hacked boxes.  They all share at least=20
one of three things in common:

1) Not patched up to date
2) Incorrectly (or not at all) configured
3) Weak or default passwords

Those three things are the cause of almost every breakin I've seen.  The=20
first is by far the greatest reason for breakins.  The second and third=20
are less frequently but still often the case.  It is not at all uncommon=20
to find a box running unpatched and unconfigured services that its owner=20
had no idea were running.

If you have any of the above conditions, then you have something to be=20
concerned about.  If you don't, then the reduction in attacks is most=20
likely pure coincidence.

If you don't want your computer broken into:

1) Keep it patched and up to date at *all* times.  Eternal vigilance is=20
the watchword.
2) Disable *and* remove all services you do not intend to run.  Don't=20
install a program if you aren't going to be using it.
3) If you want to play around with something, configure it to respond to=20
localhost *only* or restrict access to known IP addresses.
4) *Always* change default passwords and *never* use weak passwords.  A=20
weak password is defined as a password that does not use special=20
characters.  Period.  Alphanumeric passwords can resist brute force=20
attacks for approximately one week using modern computers.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/