Date:      Mon, 26 Sep 2011 19:08:40 +0100
From:      Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller6727@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        Michael Holmes <holmesmich@gmail.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Options for emulators/wine?

On 26 September 2011 09:27, Thomas Mueller <mueller6727@bellsouth.net> wrot=
e:
> from Michael Holmes <holmesmich@gmail.com>:
>
>> HAL shouldn't be necessary, but you might need to manually set up
>> CUPS. Winemaker is just a tool for building open-source Windows apps
>> on Wine with ease. There are a few GUI tools to set up CUPS, but if I
>> recall correctly, the web interface to CUPS is pretty
>> self-explanatory. HP do have a nice GUI called HPLIP for utilising
>> their printers on Linux (and ported to FreeBSD) available on ports as
>> print/hplip, but it doesn't work with the GENERIC console config, and
>> seems to be quite awkward to set up (you apparently cannot load USB
>> mass storage until the printer is 'adopted' by the generic USB stack).
>
> I don't know what you mean by "adopted" (by the generic USB stack): seems=
 mystic to me.

Some rather strange printers will be recognised by umass before ugen
recognises them; you have to plug it in before umass is loaded or it
becomes a mass storage device.

> CUPS would be necessary to setup printing for BSD and Linux, but would it=
 be necessary when using Wine and going the MS-Windows way?

I'm not sure that the Windows printer stack is included in Wine, why
would you rather do that than use CUPS? The gutenprint drivers are
often of a higher quality than the manufacturer's provided ones, and
they install less trash.

> Package message said that ulpt had to be turned off in kernel config and =
not loaded as a module.

> On the older computer, I tried unsuccessfully to setup the printer last J=
une 29 from both NetBSD and FreeBSD, using hplip in both cases. =A0Predomin=
ant message was "No devices found".

> NetBSD pkgsrc had only an outdated hpijs, but pkgsrc-wip (http://pkgsrc-w=
ip.sourceforge.net/) had hplip. =A0Message said also to disable umass, but =
that was too harsh, and prevented recognizing USB sticks.

As mentioned before, disable umass, and once the printer has been
recognise reload umass.

> Would Linux offer a better chance with hplip than BSD? =A0I tried also wi=
th Linux (Slackware 13.0), but hplip version was behind, and that failed.

> There is also the Ethernet option with the printer, but I need an Etherne=
t switch or additional router for that, which I intend to order.

> First attempt to build hplip on the new computer failed due to libieee128=
4 dependency being for i386 only. =A0Subsequently I turned off that option =
after finding it was for parallel-port scanners only, not USB.

CUPS almost always makes things printer-related a million times
easier. Don't forget it's the main printing system in the modern
Macs-- Apple manage to make it work with almost anything!

Chris