Date:      Sun, 1 Jul 2001 15:59:54 -0600
From:      Chris Moline <ugly-daemon@home.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TCP windows size

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 08:52:00AM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> Bandwidth = window size / round trip time. This is a maximum bandwidth
> regardless of other issues such as loss and congestion. Bandwidth is
> in bits/sec, window size is in bits (not bytes!) and RTT is in
> seconds. Since I almost always run on  a fast link (2 to 10 Mbps), I
> always run my max window at 64K bytes.
Have I done my calculations right??
(64 * 1024) = 65536 bytes
(65536 * 8) = 524288 bits

After trying the above I get no buffer space availble errors. After a lot of
trial and error i found the biggest value I can give without running out of
buffer space is in between 233000 and 235000. Can I increase the buffer space??
Would this be a good idea?? Is it better to give a number that is a power of
two??

Chris Moline